eXtream Software Development Forum

Full Version: Thoughts and experiences about latency
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's your audio interface and tab?

I have Focusrite Scarlett (1st generation) and Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 New Edition.

It seems my lowest working/reliable latency is 512 frames, below that I'm dealing with clicks/pops. It's a shame, I REALLY love my Samsung tab but that latency is a bit downer..

512 for software monitoring is just too high, Scarlett has direct monitoring option but it's a bit restraining. I'm used to software monitoring, even my old iPad2 is capable of software monitoring with 128 samples. My point is not to rant and be negative, just gathering opinions here.

I really like AEM as a mobile DAW!!! I'm using it as tool to gather/test ideas, my only concerns are latency and the possibility (is there?) to use some kind of amp modelling for DI bass and guitar.
Since the app/driver does not run in the kernel as real-time thread, lower than 512 is not possible indeed. It's still heaps better than the hundreds of milliseconds delay you get with Android though. One thing that may help is rooting the device and enabling the root tweak such that the USB audio thread can run as a real-time thread, but it's unfortunately still no guarantee.
(12-15-2016, 12:34 PM)dwrae Wrote: [ -> ]Since the app/driver does not run in the kernel as real-time thread, lower than 512 is not possible indeed. It's still heaps better than the hundreds of milliseconds delay you get with Android though. One thing that may help is rooting the device and enabling the root tweak such that the USB audio thread can run as a real-time thread, but it's unfortunately still no guarantee.

I actually consider this as a good news!!! I thought that "normal" low latency, like 128 samples, is possible with USB-driver and thus there was something wrong with my gear/tab. But it's good to know that it's the actual implementation/method that's the limiting factor when it comes to latency.