eXtream Software Development Forum
Strange download speed over a mobile network. - Printable Version

+- eXtream Software Development Forum (https://www.extreamsd.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Apps (https://www.extreamsd.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: USB Audio Player PRO (https://www.extreamsd.com/forum/forum-22.html)
+---- Forum: Bug reports (https://www.extreamsd.com/forum/forum-14.html)
+---- Thread: Strange download speed over a mobile network. (/thread-964.html)

Strange download speed over a mobile network. - scherbakov.al - 11-22-2019

I compared the speed of the cellular network to two applications - a native application from Qobuz and USB player. I tested one quality track 24-192. How the native application works:

[Image: Screenshot_2019_11_22_21_40_39_848_ru_v_...or_500.jpg][Image: i.gif]

At first there is a surge in speed, and then the speed rhythmically jumps, but the recording is not interrupted: 

[Image: Screenshot_2019_11_22_21_41_53_721_ru_v_...or_500.jpg][Image: i.gif]

USB player for some reason behaves differently:
[Image: Screenshot_2019_11_22_21_38_00_386_ru_v_...or_500.jpg][Image: i.gif]

[Image: Screenshot_2019_11_22_21_43_50_024_ru_v_...or_500.jpg][Image: i.gif]

Changing the buffer size, network packet size, client type does not change the result. Why is this happening? The official application is able to maintain a constant speed of downloading music, and with a USB player, communication is constantly interrupted.

RE: Strange download speed over a mobile network. - dwrae - 12-13-2019

We suggest excluding the app from battery optimisation. Of course the app streams data in chunks.

RE: Strange download speed over a mobile network. - 20InchWoofer - 03-12-2020

(12-13-2019, 01:24 PM)dwrae Wrote: We suggest excluding the app from battery optimisation. Of course the app streams data in chunks.

I think what's been shown here is the problem that drives me insane on a daily basis while using UAPP to the point this week of considering uninstalling UAPP, the buffering is not working as per what you'd expect from a typical streaming application, as in, every streaming application I've used downloads the entire track in the background aggressively / as fast as possible.

The problem in not doing this is easily seen when driving and hitting a mobile signal black spot, typically audio will just stop instantly as if there's no buffered data - I suspect there isn't any buffered data or if there is then UAPP is not reliably using the buffered data.

I get being conservative with buffering up mobile data and mobile data use but more commonly now we have either unlimited mobile data or big data plans where this is no longer an issue.

My phone has 4GB of memory and unlimited mobile data, why only have 30 secs of network buffer ? (assuming this buffer even applies to mobile data and Tidal / Qobuz ?), I want minutes of buffered data e.g. 3 to 5 minutes - an entire track and I want the buffer to be filled at maximum data rate that my phone supports. So when I hit a black signal spot I can easily ride it out from buffered data.

This should be no.1 priority to get this sorted, it's been this way since I started using UAPP probably about 1 year ago and has never improved over the countless versions I've updated to with the hope this problem has been addressed.

I've also created posts about recovery from loss of mobile data, this again is not working well, I'm constantly having to interact with UAPP to get music playing again, either selecting the next track or pressing play again, UAPP is really bad in this area.

I / we need options to retry (reliably) after losing connectivity instead of just stopping instantly with "audio data not received in time", at very least show the amount of buffered data / music play time as a debug / UI option, increase the network buffer size to minutes and fill it way faster than what it's currently filled at.

If this isn't addressed I'm going to assume UAPP is just for home use where you've got a reliable Wifi signal and it's not intended for mobile data / in car use at all seeing as it just doesn't work in a usable way. It's getting to the point of me switching to the native Tidal application and take the loss in sound quality, just don't understand how the Qobuz and Tidal applications work as you'd expect with buffering and quick recovery from loss of signal but UAPP can't ?