Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qobuz, or greater incorporation of bubbleupnp
Please read this as I am sure based on my research that this is reasonable.

I have recently aquired a Nexus 5X which I would love to double as my portable hi-fi player (inconjunction with an ifi iDSD nano and iCAN nano stack).  However, the largest storage capacity available with the N5X is 32GB with no SD slot.

The simplest solution of which I am aware is to stream from a server (I am largely on WiFi).  I have been going through the cumberson process of connecting to my home VPN, then accessing my NAS through an SMB share that I load in USB Audio Player Pro.  I came across the BubbleUPnP app for android and discovered that it will serve up not only local files, but also files stored on a number of popular file hosting site.  In addition, it will also access purchases and streaming from Qobuz and Tidal.

I can access the server in USB Audio Player Pro, but--as I understand it--the lack of rendering capability of UPnP in USB AP Pro makes it impossible to access stream from Google Drive, OneDrive, Qobuz, or Tidal.  I was first going to suggest that this be implemented, but after thought my suggestion is this:

Implement access to web servers directly into USB AP Pro--and even better for me--Implement the Qobuz API into USB AP Pro so that I could sign in and access all of my streaming subscription.
When you choose Upnp/DLNA in UAPP, you can select BubbleUPNP and choose any of its services.
(11-06-2015, 11:08 AM)dwrae Wrote: When you choose Upnp/DLNA in UAPP, you can select BubbleUPNP and choose any of its services.

It is certainly possible to choose any of BubbleUPNP service, but most of them don't work due to UAPP's inability to read certain information served up by Bubble.  In short, UAPP can only access a filesystem served by BubbleUNPN.  This excludes all of the cloud storage and streaming possibilities.  Try it for yourself, or if you have further info on how to get this working, please let me know.  I would be happy to be wrong.
We have tried recently using Tidal and Dropbox, it worked fine. Did you actually select BubbleUPnP as DLNA server inside UAPP (with BubbleUPnP running in the background)? If so, did you see the list of services like Dropbox inside UAPP?
(11-06-2015, 05:49 PM)dwrae Wrote: We have tried recently using Tidal and Dropbox, it worked fine. Did you actually select BubbleUPnP as DLNA server inside UAPP (with BubbleUPnP running in the background)? If so, did you see the list of services like Dropbox inside UAPP?

After selecting BubbleUPNP as a DLNA server within UAPP, I am indeed given the options of Google Drive (which I use), as well as OneDrive, Dropbox, and some others (which I don't use).  When then selecting Google Drive, UAPP gives up a message 'Remote access is disabled in Settings > Local Media Server'--except that settings reflect that access is enabled.  These can be played using the BubbleUPNP app.

There are no listings for Qobuz or Tidal from within UAPP, but these are accessible and playable directly through BubbleUPNP (without the ability to play directly to my ifi iDSD).
I will also add this information from the developer of BubbleUPNP:

"Now I understand you will be disappointed, and I'm sorry for that. But I had to fix it.
However all is not lost: if you can convince the USB Audio Player developer to make it an UPnP renderer, then you'll be able to use BubbleUPNP to play to it (or send content from any other UPnP app).
Since there's already UPnP/DLNA browsing ability, maybe he will be opened to this idea.
And it will make his app even more useful. "
USB Audio Player PRO 2.2.5 will hit the Play Store in a couple of hours with direct support for TIDAL. We will see if we can get UAPP to be a UPnP renderer in future.
(11-06-2015, 07:12 PM)dwrae Wrote: USB Audio Player PRO 2.2.5 will hit the Play Store in a couple of hours with direct support for TIDAL. We will see if we can get UAPP to be a UPnP renderer in future.

It is good to see that progress is occurring.  Tidal support is definitely a bonus for those who use Tidal, but one of the reasons I use Qobuz is that it allows streaming at resolutions higher than 44100hz which Tidal does not.  Android will allow 44100hz audio to pass through USB without UAP.  In my situation--and everyone else's once they get Android updates--the only reason to use UAP is to play audio at higher resolutions. 

I certainly appreciate this app and all the work you have put into it.  I guess the real problem is that Google didn't release a 128gB Nexus 5X.  32gB just doesn't go a long way with high resolution audio.
(11-06-2015, 07:12 PM)dwrae Wrote: USB Audio Player PRO 2.2.5 will hit the Play Store in a couple of hours with direct support for TIDAL. We will see if we can get UAPP to be a UPnP renderer in future.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but have there been any more developments on this?

I would love to try UAPP but all my music is stored on Google Drive :( Internal phone storage will never be sufficient for all my lossless files.

Is there any chance at all that in its current form, with bubbleUPnP, that UAPP will stream from Google Drive? Dwrae, you said in an earlier post that you had got this to work with Dropbox?

Thanks
We may have a better solution coming