Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend a Powered USB Hub?
Hi! I own both a Nexus 7 2013 and a Nexus 6P, and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface. I would like to record on one of my two Android devices using Audio Evolution Mobile. I see that a powered USB hub is recommended for the Scarlett 2i2. I've been looking around online for such a hub, and I am having difficulty determining exactly what to buy; there seem to be subtle differences among hubs.
  • I would like USB 3.0 for future-proofing sake, even though the 2i2 is a USB 2.0 device.
  • I want to make sure that the 2i2 is receiving enough power.
  • I don't think I need to plug in any devices other than the 2i2 while I'm recording, so I probably won't require a lot of ports. (If anyone knows of any other peripherals that would make recording on an Android device easier, I'm all ears!)
Anyway, I guess recording on Android devices is still such a new field of endeavor that there aren't a whole lot of test cases or best practices to read about. I'd really just like to know: What powered USB hub should I buy? I'm scared of inadvertently ordering the wrong thing, waiting for it to arrive, discovering that I can't use it, sending it back, etc. Thanks in advance!
Basically, any powered USB hub should do, as long as it comes with its own power adapter. We hardly hear from people using powered hubs that do not work. If your Android devices are not USB3, please buy a USB2 hub.
(11-30-2015, 11:45 AM)dwrae Wrote: Basically, any powered USB hub should do, as long as it comes with its own power adapter. We hardly hear from people using powered hubs that do not work. If your Android devices are not USB3, please buy a USB2 hub.

Thanks for your reply. Guess what? I bought a hub...and it isn't suitable. It's an Amazon Basics 4-port powered hub. It works fine with a dynamic mic, but not with condensers. I'm guessing that it doesn't supply enough power to the 2i2 to enable it to give the mics enough phantom power.

Oh well; it's all part of the learning process! I wanted to share my experience here for the benefit of anyone who might be in a situation similar to mine. And again, if anyone knows of a *specific* model of USB hub that has been tested with Audio Evolution Mobile, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB interface, and an Android device, and found to work smoothly, please let me know. Thank you!
Could you try restarting your Nexus 7 with the 2i2 attached (either through the hub or directly) to see if that helps? Furthermore, do the 2i2's leds light up when connecting it (even before starting the app)? And which mA rating does the power supply of the Amazon hub have if I may ask?
Advice was given to use a USB 2.0 hub if the Android device is not USB 3.0.  Could you comment as to why that is?  I have used a USB 3.0 hub with my Nexus 6 with (apparent) success.  Also, would it be possible to plug a USB thumb drive into the same hub and record via USB Audio Recorder PRO + USB audio device simultaneously to this same thumb drive (i.e. not use the phone's internal storage when tracking?).
Any hub that works is of course ok. You can only use a thumb driver if it is supported by the Android device directly (such that it is selectable in the app's settings -> base directory.
Sorry it has taken me several months since my last post to reply! I wanted to make it known that I now have a powered hub that works. It's a HooToo USB 3.0 model with 7 ports, plus 2 additional ports just for charging. However, I was dismayed to discover that it works only with my Nexus 7 2013, not my Nexus 6P. I've set it up identically with both devices:

Microphone > Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface > MIDI cable > Powered USB hub > MIDI cable > USB OTG adapter > Nexus Android device

Unfortunately, although the Nexus 6P appears to recognize that there's a USB device connected to it (a popup appears asking if I want to open USB Audio Player PRO), when I open Audio Evolution it offers only the option to use the Nexus 6P's built-in mic and speakers, not the USB audio interface.

I would like to be able to use the Nexus 6P for recording, as it has a faster processor and more storage space than the Nexus 7, as well as being a 64-bit device (the Nexus 7 is 32-bit). Is the problem with the 6P a known issue? Do you know if there is anything I can do to make Audio Evolution on my 6P recognize the USB audio interface?

One additional difference between the two Android devices is that the USB port on the 6P is USB C, whereas on the 7 it's the more common USB B. Might this have something to do with the problem?

Again, thanks in advance for any help!
The USB-C might be a problem indeed, but I assume you already using a specific USB-C type OTG adapter for the 6P?

Could you please do the following:

* Start the app
* Go into the Preferences (More->Preferences or More->Options->Preferences depending on your device), scroll down to Logging and set it to 'Log to file'.
* Exit the app
* Restart your Android device with the 2i2 and hub connected.

Then:
* Start the app
* Accept the USB permission dialog
* Exit the app
* Please send the log file AELog.txt that is placed in your AudioEvolution directory to info AT audio-evolution.com and mention this forum post
For the benefit of anyone reading this who might have a similar problem, dwrae has told me that there is currently a known issue with Android N Developer Preview, which eXtream Software Development is working with Google to resolve.
(07-20-2016, 06:23 PM)joesilver Wrote: For the benefit of anyone reading this who might have a similar problem, dwrae has told me that there is currently a known issue with Android N Developer Preview, which eXtream Software Development is working with Google to resolve.

Update: Audio Evolution Mobile is now working with Android 7, aka Android N, aka Android Nougat. Kudos to eXtream Software Development for resolving this issue.

By the way, I have upgraded from the Scarlett 2i2 first generation to the Scarlett 18i8 second generation, which is powered by a power supply rather than being bus-powered like the 2i2, so I no longer have need for a powered USB hub.