Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
noise in recording
I managed to put CM11 (some Android 4.x) on my trusty Motorola Defy+ MB526. Wich is an achievement by itself.

With AE mobile and an OTG adapter it even recognizes my Behringer UCA202 and it records! Another great achievment.

BUT: Unfortunately the recorded file has some audio artefacts, some crackling or sizzling dependant from the audio file: while playing, only during the wave file the noise is audible, and it seems to change a little in level or intensity with the level of the desired signal. It somehow reminds me of a kind of quantization noise, but not exactly.
I already tried recordings with different USB settings, but this didn't change anything. Played back on another device, the file has that noise as well.

Any ideas for a solution are welcome :-) I can also send a soundfile...
I'm going to say an 800 MHz Cortex A8 and 512 MB of ram is your problem......Just running Android 4.x on it is probably pushing it.
(03-30-2016, 01:52 AM)unsound Wrote: I'm going to say an 800 MHz Cortex A8 and 512 MB of ram is your problem......Just running Android 4.x on it is probably pushing it.

You might be right. But what I hear is definately NOT dropouts.
The sizzling kind of underlies the desired signal. 
Anyone else any ideas? Dwrae?

Man, ca. 15 years ago we had DAW's doing multitrack recordings and we were dreaming of specs like my old fashioned smart phone needs for JUST existing....
What is your latency set at?  Could be too low for the hardware.
Same thing was happening on my 2012 Nexus 7.  Had the latency set low for software monitoring and was getting pops and sizzles, not drop outs, the only way to fix it was to set the latency up pretty high but then I couldn't listen and play at the same time due to too much delay.

Got a Galaxy Tab S2 and all has been great so far.  I still say your main problem is a hardware issue.....it just can't handle it.
(03-30-2016, 05:14 PM)headcrash Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 01:52 AM)unsound Wrote: I'm going to say an 800 MHz Cortex A8 and 512 MB of ram is your problem......Just running Android 4.x on it is probably pushing it.

You might be right. But what I hear is definately NOT dropouts.
The sizzling kind of underlies the desired signal. 
Anyone else any ideas? Dwrae?

Man, ca. 15 years ago we had DAW's doing multitrack recordings and we were dreaming of specs like my old fashioned smart phone needs for JUST existing....

It's probably a kernel issue or USB controller issue. The cpu itself is probably fast enough, but that's usually not what causes problems. If it's rooted, you could try the root tweak.
(03-29-2016, 07:15 PM)headcrash Wrote: I managed to put CM11 (some Android 4.x) on my trusty Motorola Defy+ MB526. Wich is an achievement by itself.

With AE mobile and an OTG adapter it even recognizes my Behringer UCA202 and it records! Another great achievment.

BUT: Unfortunately the recorded file has some audio artefacts, some crackling or sizzling dependant from the audio file: while playing, only during the wave file the noise is audible, and it seems to change a little in level or intensity with the level of the desired signal. It somehow reminds me of a kind of quantization noise, but not exactly.
I already tried recordings with different USB settings, but this didn't change anything. Played back on another device, the file has that noise as well.

Any ideas for a solution are welcome :-) I can also send a soundfile...

I think that I had a similar issue. Can your device play audio through a USB cleanly without AE? My 2 slower tablets could not, but my HTC One M8 works perfectly with or without AE. So the software was not the issue. I think that it is hardware. Maybe slow processor, faulty kernel or USB driver. Have not tried Android 6 yet.