Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iRig Pre with AEM
Hi y'all ... first post here.

I searched on this topic but didn't find anything.

I have an HTC One Remix with Audio Evolution Mobile on it, and I've just recently acquired an IK Multimedia iRig Pre. Last night I tried recording with it. I had the mic plugged into the iRig, and the cable (with a 3.5 mm TRRS plug) from the iRig going into the phone's headphone jack. Then I had a standard set of headphones (3.5mm TRS jack) plugged into the iRig's headphone jack.

It recorded perfectly, and when I played it back, I could hear it perfectly. The problem was that I couldn't monitor what I was recording. When I recorded the first track, it was silent in my headphones, although I could see the resulting waveform on the screen. When I recorded onto track 2, I could hear track 1 playing back, but again I couldn't hear what I was recording.

So ... Does anyone know:

Is this a setting issue inside AEM?

Do I need to be using headphones with a TRRS jack in the iRig's headphone output?

Any other ideas?

Thanks much
Do you have software monitoring turned on in the preferences?
(12-08-2017, 12:11 AM)unsound Wrote: Do you have software monitoring turned on in the preferences?

I did do that, yes. When I did, it told me that it was only good for use with USB audio interfaces and some specific Android devices that have low enough latency.

I think I could hear it when I did that, but:
1. It was really quiet compared to the backing tracks
2. The latency was so bad it was unusable.
Search "track monitoring" and see if this isn't what you are talking about.  If it is then as you can see I've posted about this with no solution.
(12-08-2017, 12:19 AM)unsound Wrote: Search "track monitoring" and see if this isn't what you are talking about.  If it is then as you can see I've posted about this with no solution.

Thanks for the info; I'll check that out.

In the meantime, I found this under the "Android Limitations" section of the AEM manual:

Connectivity: Using the headset input: aside using the devices' internal mic and speaker, you can connect a headset or other devices like an iRig MIC Cast to your phone or tablet. You should ensure that you use a 4-pole TRRS connector used for a combination of mic and headphones, otherwise Android may not detect it correctly and continue to use the internal mic for example. Note that due to the high latency and lack of routing options in Android, you will not be able to hear what you are recording on the headphone or speaker output.

That doesn't sound good.   Sad
The manual is incomplete regarding that since software monitoring was added later, but as you found out, the high latency can make it unusable.