eXtream Software Development Forum

Full Version: crash with opus format
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
With a usb device connected (not 'play through android');
Play any opus encoded file, encoded with the latest opus encoder or older ones.
do a few 'time jumps' within the played file; then android will completely block; only a forced reboot can exit this; sometimes it reboots by itself.

This is a pretty certain way to replicate; in actual play, the phone reboots sometimes under other conditions, but everytime when playing opus encoded files.

Thank you,
Alex
Ok, could you please send us such file and state which Android device and DAC you are using? Please also try without a DAC. The symptoms you describe sound like a bug that is present in some kernels where not enough DMA-able memory can be allocated which causes a reboot (usually happens on Sony's). Note that apps (or bugs in apps) cannot cause the device to reboot.
Without DAC, it never crashed.
With DAC, amazingly, it didn't happen when I tried again.
Now I took your comment as a suggestion and installed another kernel; it didn't happen since.
Something remains, though - maybe you could update the opus decoder? Because it never happened with the other formats I've used - dff, dsf, flac, ogg, mp3
It did happen with files converted by me into opus, with foobar2000, and with opus files downloaded from youtube without transcoding.
I am using a Samsung note 3 phone - N9005, hltetmo, with CM12.1 rooted, and no other change.
The USB DAC is LHLabs GeekOut V2

Thank you,
Alex