Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive Slowdown / Lock-up of the App due to "More Albums by [Artist]" section
You're saying you cannot remove the "More Albums by Artist" section when the app existed fine before its implementation?
No, I am saying it cannot be removed in general since it is widely used in sections like Tidal.
(03-08-2023, 11:43 AM)dwrae Wrote: No, I am saying it cannot be removed in general since it is widely used in sections like Tidal.

No one is talking about Tidal.

I'm talking about MY local library.

I can't believe that still, for the sake of streaming services, local library viewing is utterly trashed.

Wouldn't it be nice if the base app worked (like it used to?) and then maybe concerns about what would affect "Tidal" should then enter the picture, not BEFORE.
Hello,
Any idea when this will be solved? Using the app is getting a little bit frustrating.
Is it possible to undo whatever change made that broke the app?
Thank you.
The problem is solved in next release.
Sadly, this isn't fixed. As much as I hoped you'd fixed it, this did quite frankly nothing to help the situation. It's plain to see here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YkTp4cqoEs71GrC17

"More albums by [artist]" section is STILL slowing down the app.

ONCE AGAIN, LET ME SPELL THIS OUT FOR YOU. Since you're inclined to push out meaningless updates it's pretty much necessary at this point.

If I am so inclined to go and view more albums by some artist, it's literally THE PREVIOUS MENU. All you should have to do is press your device's on screen back button (or gesture) and you'll go back to...wait for it...THE PREVIOUS MENU WITH ALL ALBUMS BY THAT ARTIST. It doesn't need to be so gosh darn complicated.

I recorded that video of my device nearly ten minutes ago, and it's still locked up/frozen as shown at the end.

As soon as one scrolls to the end of the tracklist where this "More albums by [Artist]" section would appear, the app freezes.

Get. Rid. Of. It.

The app was perfectly usable back in versions prior to 5.9.9.6(?) and it's been trash ever since.
We have never seen such an issue. What was fixed was the slowdown when you open an album because there was a nested scrollview involved (the tracks and the horizontal scroll view of related albums). If you have an album with many tracks, this would mean that all the tracks would be 'drawn' internally which caused the slowdown between the tap on the album in the albums list and the display of the album view itself. We measure this on a X5iii and in 6102 we got similar performance again to 5.x.

What the video shows is an entirely different issue. Does this problem also occur on albums that do not have other albums from the same artist?
(04-12-2023, 01:37 PM)dwrae Wrote: We have never seen such an issue. What was fixed was the slowdown when you open an album because there was a nested scrollview involved (the tracks and the horizontal scroll view of related albums). If you have an album with many tracks, this would mean that all the tracks would be 'drawn' internally which caused the slowdown between the tap on the album in the albums list and the display of the album view itself. We measure this on a X5iii and in 6102 we got similar performance again to 5.x.

What the video shows is an entirely different issue. Does this problem also occur on albums that do not have other albums from the same artist?

Regarding the video above: I cycled through the albums by that artist (I have a near complete discography of Muse so this is an extreme example, but album artist categories like Various Artists can have similar number of albums). That particular album has only ten songs. Not a particularly egregious track count, there.

Prior to the most recent "fix" the app would lock up device as soon as album was picked from the album artist's album(s) list. The tracklist would not even appear. Now the tracklist appears but as soon you get to the last track, after which the "More Albums by [Artist]" horizontal scrollview would be populated, the app locks up there, now. If the user interacts with the device while it's loading them, it will lock up. Since I know it's coming, if I avoid any additional inputs, they will eventually load (a little under 30 seconds later).

See here (video clip)
As I will explain once again, this whole more albums section is superfluous, if I wanted to view more albums by that artist I can literally go back one page in the menu.

It has nothing to do with the number of tracks present, and the album art on my device is all embedded 95% quality jpg's at 800x800 resolution (nothing obscenely large).
In the interest of actually solving this...

[My folder structure on my SD card, a SanDisk Extreme Plus 1TB microSDXC, is /Music/Artist/Album with individual songs in the album folder, no album artwork in folders, I have it all embedded]

Would it at all help for testing purposes to have album art images in the album folder instead of embedded? I know there's an option to prefer the embedded art in files over one found in the folder.

Do you think the in-folder cover art would be read faster than embedded art? If the "More Albums by [Artist]" section is here to stay, I'm willing to try this.

Before though, I'd appreciate if you'd at least acknowledge how annoying it is to be a paid user of an app that used to work without headache, but now must be so ever vigilant that I don't accidentally scroll to the bottom of a song list and have the app lock up again and again. Just saying.