Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio tracks will not sync to drum. Nexus 5x with 6.0
I'm only on demo version, trying it out before i buy. I've done the latency test (a few times actually) and it seems to have the same results each time. After that, I'll apply "low latency" in options. I've even chosen the "play a tone after arming track to detect latency" selection. Still, after creating a simple drum track, i add an audio track and play guitar chords along with the beat(through headphones after initial latency beep). Everything seems fine while recording, but playback is always off by a millisecond. 
The only thing i noticed is that after doing the latency test and applying low latency feature it says that my sample rate is set to 44100, but should be 48000. 
Also, I'm just using device mic, no usb interface. I'm not looking for production quality. I just want to record song ideas, compress then down and send out to band members. Ideally I'd like to make a simple drum line, add a guitar chord track, add a bass line track and then a melody track. But i need them to sync, and i don't want to invest in a bunch of accessories.
A millisecond would be better than any computer out there, so I assume you mean more than that. Could you please try the following: with OpenSLES and Session latency correction enabled, record a guitar (rhythm) track without drum pattern track. Then record a 2nd guitar track while listening to the first guitar track. Please let me know if these are in sync.
(02-14-2016, 05:36 PM)dwrae Wrote: A millisecond would be better than any computer out there, so I assume you mean more than that. Could you please try the following: with OpenSLES and Session latency correction enabled, record a guitar (rhythm) track without drum pattern track. Then record a 2nd guitar track while listening to the first guitar track. Please let me know if these are in sync.

Hi, thanks
Yes, I was being a little exaggerated, maybe more like half a second or so. But I just tried audio tracks only, and still, the second track starts just a hair late on playback. 
I just opened app>ran latency test>applied opensles and session latency> and recorded first chord progression (2 chords,closed) Then added another audio track, and recorded same exact chords one octave higher in unison. On playback, 2nd track is slightly late.
Ok, can you try recording 2 audio tracks with session latency correction (enable OpenSLES and Session latency correction in the app's preferences), like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtHJFf6rrG0
(02-16-2016, 12:23 PM)dwrae Wrote: Ok, can you try recording 2 audio tracks with session latency correction (enable OpenSLES  and Session latency correction in the app's preferences), like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtHJFf6rrG0
Forgive me, but this video seems to show how to fix Latency manually, but not using the preference settings, or is that implied?. What you suggest in parenthesis is what I did previously, but this video seems to show that I need to figure out the exact latency loss time by starting a single snare drum hit, then recording that 1st track's audio while using device speaker and comparing difference via Range tool. It doesn't explain how to change the latency manually (in this example.79milliseconds) 
Is this the right video?
It's the right video, it shows by using these tools that the latency is very minimal when using 'Session latency correction'. There is no need to determine it yourself basically, but if you want to test if this function works for you, you could possibly do a similar thing as in the video.
Furthermore, the video shows that WITHOUT Session latency correction, the latency is 79 milliseconds, but with Session latency correction, it's only a couple of frames (less than a millisecond or two).
(02-17-2016, 11:34 AM)dwrae Wrote: It's the right video, it shows by using these tools that the latency is very minimal when using 'Session latency correction'. There is no need to determine it yourself basically, but if you want to test if this function works for you, you could possibly do a similar thing as in the video.
Furthermore, the video shows that WITHOUT Session latency correction, the latency is 79 milliseconds, but with Session latency correction, it's only a couple of frames (less than a millisecond or two).

Ok thanks,
So this is more of a demonstration video, rather than a "How to"?
I think I am doing what you have been suggesting, and I have been doing it since the beginning, but it's entirely possible that I am way off the mark and totally misunderstanding. Perhaps I need to dig deeper into the rabbit hole on how to get started with this app, and the latency issue. I just retraced my steps and wrote everything down. If you have a minute, could you check out what I'm doing wrong? I just went through this same steps, and still the same results.
From fresh install of DEMO app Version 4.1.4
*Open app
*Click "More"
*"Options"
*"Determine latency"
*"OK"
*The app then runs through 4 test runs and then 4 more test runs of "open SLES" with beeping on all test runs.
Results: "Standard audio latency 104msec=26 msec /Opensles 195 msec=3 msec"
*CLICK"ok"
*"MORE"
*"Options"
*"Set low latency mode"
"This device has a low latency feature, but the right combination audio system,buffer size and sample rate is not set. Turn on low latency mode"?
*OK
"Audio system: OPensles (ok)
Sample rate selected 44100, should be 48000
Buffer size selected 192 (ok)"
*Clicked "OK"
Back to main screen, I hit "+" sign.
*Add audio track
"How many tracks?" I select "1"
I arm track by pressing the individual tracks record button & the latency beep is played.
* I record a 2 chord progression ( by pressing record button at bottom of screen)
*"+"
*Add audio track
" How many tracks? 1
*I arm track 2
Plug in headphones, and press record button at bottom of screen.
* I play same chords, octave higher along with playback in headphones.
* Click stop, and press play button.
The tracks are off.
I apologize for the lengthy post, but I'm trying to be as clear as possible in hopes that you'll see what I'm doing wrong.
(02-17-2016, 11:34 AM)dwrae Wrote: It's the right video, it shows by using these tools that the latency is very minimal when using 'Session latency correction'. There is no need to determine it yourself basically, but if you want to test if this function works for you, you could possibly do a similar thing as in the video.

I never heard anymore about this, and I'm not finding anything online that shows where to begin with mobile. So should I just figure that my device is not compatible?
I'm sorry, I missed the post. You are using the right sequence, although you can skip the 'Determine latency' part and even the 'Set low latency mode' part as long as you use OpenSLES and Session latency correction. On some devices, plugging in the headphones changes some internal audio path (read: latency), which messes up this scheme. Could you please tell us which Android device you are using?

Could you also do this experiment without headphones:
* import a track (preferably a drum track), or record a chord progression
* raise the volume and press record (it should now first beep and then record what you are playing back through the speaker)
* see if the tracks are in sync