Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Track monitoring during playback
Just wondering if we will see playback track monitoring anytime soon, seems like such a crucial feature in order to creatively work thru ideas before recording them.
Could you please elaborate on this? Or do you mean software monitoring? If so, you can enable it in the app's preferences (although it's usability depends on whether you have a low latency device or a USB audio interface with our driver, otherwise latency can be too high to be usable).
(03-25-2016, 11:28 AM)dwrae Wrote: Could you please elaborate on this? Or do you mean software monitoring? If so, you can enable it in the app's preferences (although it's usability depends on whether you have a low latency device or a USB audio interface with our driver, otherwise latency can be too high to be usable).

So when I'm monitoring the track I'm recording on I hear it just fine when armed and recording, but seems to mute itself, even when armed, when I just want to playback and work out an idea over the existing tracks before actually recording. I am using software monitoring with the usb driver using a Line 6 Sonic Port VX for my interface.
Yes, the track either outputs the sound of the track or the input (when armed), it cannot do both at the same time.
Even if there is nothing recorded on the armed track?  
So, in not trying to make a desktop DAW comparison, I will for the sake of understanding the issue. I use Reaper for my main desktop DAW and after I record a track and set up the next track, before recording to it  I can arm the track to monitor it and play back the previously recorded track at the same time in order to work out ideas. Same as if I was recording to it but hitting play instead of record......
Ok, so you mean on a different track than the one armed?
New track, let's say track 2 is armed as if I was going to record but instead of hitting the record button I hit the play button so the previous track (track 1) plays and I can still hear the input on the newly armed track therefore being able to play along with the previous track (track 1)

Let's go this way.....

Set up track 1

arm track 1

record guitar to track 1

unarm track 1

listen back....all is good.

Setup track 2

arm track 2

decide to work on idea I want to record to track 2 before actually recording to it

with track 2 still armed I hit play, and track 2 with nothing recorded to it yet automatically mutes itself, defeating
the ability to hear the input on the empty track 2 during playback.
(03-27-2016, 04:48 PM)unsound Wrote: the ability to hear the input on the empty track 2 during playback.

That would be immensely useful.
Hitting the Play button disables Software Monitoring, hitting the Stop button enables it again. If the Software Monitoring of an empty track remains enabled during the playback of already recorded track(s), then it would be possible to adjust the effects on external audio sources, (in the context of tracks already present in AE) before recording them into AE.
(04-05-2016, 01:02 PM)Ray007 Wrote: Hitting the Play button disables Software Monitoring.

I think that pretty much sums up my original post.
No love on this one yet?