Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost samples during long recordings
Audio tracks are not fully loaded into RAM, but streamed from 'disk'. Only at playback/recording, each track allocates two disk buffers. The size is determined in the app's preferences, but has a default of 65536 frames. So each track would allocate 2 * 65536 * (number of channels) * sizeof(floating point) = 1MB per stereo track.
(08-07-2015, 11:55 AM)gryaznoff Wrote: It's clear that AE is not only recording software, it's DAW.
But I think to have an option for FLAC recording (in case when recording is more important, then ability to play an instrument) for example would be nice.
Or the option to record mono tracks (each channel individually) for Recorder Pro.

Thank you!

Next version will have the option to record in wav, flac or ogg.
Recording in mono is done by select a mono mode in the input dialog. See 'Changing input mode' here:
http://www.audio-evolution.com/manual/do...diosupport
Great news, thank you!
(09-18-2015, 11:45 AM)gryaznoff Wrote: Great news, thank you!

I've done a test using a stereo USB interface where I split files every 1MB (to speed up testing) and the files are correct when I inspect them in Audacity. They do not display correctly though in AEM, but that doesn't affect the sound (it also plays correctly).
Considering that the code always writes full blocks/buffers of data, the only thing that I can imagine going wrong is when you record a lot of channels with high sample rate simultaneously. Then, the system may have trouble closing and creating new files on the fly and the app may miss an entire block of data. This should be visible as not a few samples lost, but a second or so.

To decrease the chance of this happening, you could increase the 'Playback disk buffer size' in the app's preferences. Actually, the text 'Playback' in this case is wrong, since it is also the disk buffer size for recording (we'll fix that).

In the next version, we'll increase the split point to near 2 GB and you will be able to record in flac, both decreasing the chances that split is necessary.
superb! Thanks a lot!
I usually record 4-6 tracks mono 24/48000. I will try your advise.
Thank you, everything works fine with lossless audio and splitting files by 2 GB.
But I suppose there is some serious trouble with ability to record a few takes in one session.
For example, I have recorded some rehearsal and I would like to continue the recording later in the same project (rehearsal+stage performance, etc.)
When I stop the recording again my previous files are replaced by new ones and I loose all the files I recorded before. It seems the AE creates new files with exactly the same names every time, i.e. Track 1_000.flac, Track 2_000.flac and so on.
Is it true, that it's necessary to start a new project for each recording session?
Sounds pretty serious. Can you give a detailed list of steps that reproduce the problem? Please also check if there is a difference in behavior between using wav and flac.

Edit: never mind, we can reproduce it when choosing anything other than wav format. Will fix ASAP.