Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combined album display in Library
There was once an option to combine all the discs within the same album to show as one item in the LIBRARY - ALBUM ARTIST, instead of seeing the same album appear multiple times because the tags are indicating different disc numbers.

This option seems to be missing from the recent versions of UAPP when it's a fresh installation. If the option had been selected previously (in an older version when users had the choice), all updates would still respect the original setting and display the information as expected, which is one line only per album.

Can we consider having the option back?

Thanks and have a wonderful weekend ahead, cheers!
You were probably an alpha tester before the official v4 release. There were a couple of releases that had this option, but we had to turn it off because it only worked in very specific circumstances. Perhaps it will come back one day, but it's extremely difficult to implement, even though it looks very simple.
(05-07-2018, 10:51 AM)dwrae Wrote: You were probably an alpha tester before the official v4 release.
Yes I was. Thanks for the clarification Davy, at least now I know I wasn't delusional and imagining things.

FWIW, it worked exceptionally well with the way I organised my music collection. If you ever fancy re-implementing the feature and need someone to help with the testing, I'd be happy to offer my services.
Hi Davy, I just saw in the latest version of UAPP that the "Group multidisc albums" feature has been brought back as an experiment. I'm a bit puzzled by how it works though, because what used to work before in the Alpha version no longer seems to apply.

For illustration purposes, suppose I have a 2-disc compilation album from Queen called The Greatest Hits. They reside in separate file folders as follows:
English\Queen\The Greatest Hits\Disc 1
English\Queen\The Greatest Hits\Disc 2

I have tagged the metadata in the ïndividual files as follows:
ARTIST: Queen
ALBUMARTIST: Queen
ALBUM: The Greatest Hits
DISCNUMBER: 1 (for files in Disc 1 folder) and 2 (for files in Disc 2 folder)

After turning on the feature and refreshing the database, the albums are still showing up as individual albums under the Album tab.

There's a note in the changelog that says: Album titles that end with ', Disc 1' etc. will be merged into one album. Does this mean whatever's in the tag DISCNUMBER is of no consequence to the sorting and grouping, and everything will be predicated on the ALBUM tag? Can I say the following will be the only case in which correct grouping is performed?
ARTIST: Queen
ALBUMARTIST: Queen
ALBUM: The Greatest Hits, Disc 1 (for files in Disc 1 folder) and The Greatest Hits, Disc 2 (for files in Disc 2 folder)
DISCNUMBER: <- this tag is irrelevant to grouping

I know I could have re-tagged a few of my albums to test and verify the theory myself, but annoyingly I don't currently have access to my PC and tagging program...
The "Ignore Path" setting has nailed it for me. It does exactly what I'd expect from a "multidisc-combine" task. I'm stumped I hadn't seen the option before.

Thanks for implementing the feature, it's genuinely useful.
Hi folks!
About the option to combine all the discs within the same album to show as one, I suggest another improvement:
combining the discs/albums with same title ending as "1/3"... "2/3"  (or "1-3", "2-3"...) etc..
So all files relative to ie: "Example title cd 1/2" , "Example title cd 2/2" will be grouped.
Best regards.