Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recording audio from AUv3 on IOS
Gotcha,

It's purely a workflow thing. I'll use model D as example, since it's CPU hungry. If I'm making a very complex track, I could see myself easily having 8+ instances of the plug-in, each playing a different preset at different points in the song, sometimes overlapping. 

Let's say I load up one instance of the auv3, and just jam on the timeline recorded into audio (I won't need to edit it later if I play it right ?). When the audio is recorded to a wav file, it has a very tiny cpu footprint.

Now I could change the preset in the auv3 (or create a new one), jam some more, adding variety. And repeat. 

Suddenly I have 10+ tracks of different sounds, all from a very high quality, very power hungry synth that would have easily reached the CPU limit if there were 10+ instances of the auv3 running at the same time. Now add in power hungry effects, like black hole reverb, replicant 2 delay, and grind distortion, you could make a booming explosive track that feels like an orchestra of oscillators, without melting the iPad. 

This works very well for me when creating complex multi layered sounds and timbres, and I can accomplish this most easily by loading up nanostudio 2 as an iaa on an audio track within AEM, then loading model D in nanostudio 2. 
But that's a DAW within a DAW, and it slows me down a little flipping between the two and making sure everything's loaded in the right order. 
If I could just load up model D in AEM, record to audio, mess around with parameters, record more audio, and repeat etc. It would speed up the workflow like crazy.

For apps that support IAA I can already do this. But I have a bunch of auv3 only apps that needed to be loaded into a daw. 

In summary recording straight to audio trades the ability to edit for the ability to layer "infinitely" without running into cpu limits. Recording audio from an auv3 within AEM makes it super fast and super easy. Load AEM, load an auv3, and record until I can't anymore :). 

It's somewhat minor, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a button or something. I'll be honest, I dig the elegance of AEM and it serves as such a fantastic canvas for sound design. So if this can't be done, I'll keep doing the track freeze option or the IAA option with a secondary daw.

Either way I love the app and will keep on using it for sure.

Messages In This Thread
Recording audio from AUv3 on IOS - by GeorgeL909 - 04-26-2020, 04:59 PM
RE: Recording audio from AUv3 on IOS - by dwrae - 04-26-2020, 07:54 PM
RE: Recording audio from AUv3 on IOS - by GeorgeL909 - 04-26-2020, 09:24 PM