Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
External MIDI controller and synth
Hi,

[Ray007: there's certainly direct monitoring of the inputs via the headphone out / main outs on the UR242 when using in Audio Evolution (presumably "wired through" in the device as there appears to be no latency), in fact I need to look into this as I'm getting mono monitoring of my synth (didn't notice with a guitar...) even though recording is in stereo, so won't be happy if I can't change this in dspMixFx! I'll report back on this. EDIT: the 'direct' monitoring on the rear channels, 3 & 4 being mono was entirely my own fault rather than a hardware limitation like (apparently) on the UR22; I plugged the UR242 into my PC, ran dspMixFx, and sure enough both channels 3 & 4 were panned dead centre Blush. I panned them left/right and can monitor in stereo now (regardless of whether I'm plugged into the PC, tablet or disconnected etc)]

OK, so I managed to find some time to play with the MIDI THRU settings in Audio Evolution. The TL;DR is that - I think - the MIDI THRU is sending received messages back out the interface that they came from (i.e. it is ignoring the MIDI THRU output setting).

This is a shame for me, as I was hoping to use Audio Evolution to have two devices both with MIDI input & output, using AE as the 'router'.

Also, is it possible to set the MIDI output channel number for a track (I couldn't see any setting), or is it a case of having to record data from a particular channel number in order to have it played back on that same channel number?

Below is a quick dump of what I did, apologies for any incoherence!

Thanks,
Tom

-----

Kit used:

1. Yamaha PSR-S750 Keyboard with USB MIDI & '5-pin' MIDI IN/OUT (No THRU).
- Set to 'local off' throughout
2. Steinberg UR242 - USB AUDIO & MIDI IN & OUT
3. Novation Supernova Synth with 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT/THRU
4. Powered USB hub to allow Yamaha keyboard and UR242 to be connected simultaneously.

Config 1: UR242 only, with 5-pin MIDI Keyboard & Synth

- Yamaha keyboard USB not connected.
- UR242 MIDI IN - Yamaha MIDI OUT
- UR242 MIDI OUT - Supernova MIDI IN

1. Set MIDI THRU active in AE preferences.
2. No sound from Supernova when playing until after a USB MIDI track has been armed once, even if not recorded onto.
3. After that, MIDI THRU appears to be working when MIDI tracks armed or audio tracks armed, or just playing (can hear sound from Supernova as I play the Yamaha). MIDI THRU still works even if all MIDI tracks deleted so long as something is playing.
4. Can record a MIDI track OK hearing Supernova as I plau, and play the track back and hear it playing OK on the Supernova.

5. Set MIDI THRU off in AE preferences.
6. No sound heard from Supernova when playing Yamaha when MIDI track armed (even though the MIDI VU meter shows activity).
7. Can record a track 'deaf' ok (no sound from Supernova); MIDI data shows up in the track and can be played back and heard from the Supernova.
8. MIDI THRU appears to be inactive when disabled.

Config 2: Yamaha keyboard via USB MIDI only (no UR242)

- Yamaha keyboard connected via USB
- No other USB hardware

1. MIDI THRU functions correctly only when a USB MIDI track is either playing or armed, but only after a USB MIDI track has been armed at least once. (Presumably if no USB track [audio or MIDI] active then the 'engine' isn't running)

2. Can record and play MIDI data fine.
3. MIDI THRU appears to be inactive when disabled.

Config 3: Yamaha keyboard via USB MIDI, Synth off UR242 USB Audio/MIDI via 5-pin MIDI

- Yamaha keyboard connected via USB
- UR242 MIDI IN - Supernova MIDI OUT
- UR242 MIDI OUT - Supernova MIDI IN

1. As Config 1: MIDI THRU works even when playing, so long as a USB MIDI track has been armed once.
2. Two MIDI inputs and outputs visible in the MIDI track input selector, the output selector and in the MIDI THRU dialogs (both inputs and both outputs named the same which is confusing!)
3. MIDI THRU appears to be inactive when disabled.
4. The MIDI THRU input setting appears to be working ok, though I can only transmit MIDI data from the Yamaha keyboard on USB.
5. The MIDI THRU output setting appears to be being ignored: regardless of which of the two settings I set it to, I see the Yamaha keyboard MIDI data being received by the Yamaha keyboard (it has a MIDI RX monitor, also I can hear it playing).
6. This appears to be irrespective of the USB MIDI track output setting (i.e. MIDI THRU ignores this?)
7. I can record MIDI data and have it played back on the Supernova OK - i.e. I can hear it. When recording, I'm hearing the Yamaha keyboard only, even though it has local off and MIDI THRU is set to output to the Supernova MIDI output.

Messages In This Thread
External MIDI controller and synth - by tomf - 02-16-2016, 06:56 PM
RE: External MIDI controller and synth - by tomf - 02-16-2016, 10:48 PM
RE: External MIDI controller and synth - by dwrae - 02-17-2016, 12:02 PM
RE: External MIDI controller and synth - by tomf - 02-17-2016, 12:56 PM
RE: External MIDI controller and synth - by tomf - 02-18-2016, 10:56 PM
RE: External MIDI controller and synth - by dwrae - 02-20-2016, 12:17 PM
RE: External MIDI controller and synth - by dwrae - 02-22-2016, 04:32 PM
RE: External MIDI controller and synth - by tomf - 02-23-2016, 10:03 AM
RE: External MIDI controller and synth - by tomf - 02-25-2016, 08:13 PM
RE: External MIDI controller and synth - by dwrae - 02-26-2016, 11:54 AM