Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recording audio from AUv3 on IOS
Hello!

First of all, I am having an excellent time with this app on IOS, and absolutely love it. 

I am interested in loading up an AUv3, playing with a midi controller, and recording directly into audio.

As it is right now, I have been adding auv3 as a midi instrument, and it by default records to midi. Then I have been creating a new track, freezing the AUv3 track and dragging the automatically created audio file from the freeze track to the newly created track. This was the fastest method I could come up with.

The other method I found was to render the entire auv3 track, filename it, then re-import it, but that felt a little too cumbersome, especially when the tracks tend to get more complex and varied.

I did find a third method, where I load the auv3 in another daw, like Nanostudio2, then load Nanostudio2 as an IAA, and record straight to audio, but again, I found that setup a little clunky.

So, I was wondering if there is a way to record directly from the auv3 track into audio to save time and improve workflow, either by

a) routing audio from the auv3 track into a separate audio track and recording, or
b) by directly rendering just the midi clip into audio without having to save it, create a file name, and re-import it to a new track.

or some other method you might suggest or I might not have thought of.

Thanks for the great app, and I appreciate any advice or response.
Thanks. Although the answer is probably 'no', I'd like to know why you would want to have it as audio in the first place, since then it cannot be edited anymore.
Gotcha,

It's purely a workflow thing. I'll use model D as example, since it's CPU hungry. If I'm making a very complex track, I could see myself easily having 8+ instances of the plug-in, each playing a different preset at different points in the song, sometimes overlapping. 

Let's say I load up one instance of the auv3, and just jam on the timeline recorded into audio (I won't need to edit it later if I play it right ?). When the audio is recorded to a wav file, it has a very tiny cpu footprint.

Now I could change the preset in the auv3 (or create a new one), jam some more, adding variety. And repeat. 

Suddenly I have 10+ tracks of different sounds, all from a very high quality, very power hungry synth that would have easily reached the CPU limit if there were 10+ instances of the auv3 running at the same time. Now add in power hungry effects, like black hole reverb, replicant 2 delay, and grind distortion, you could make a booming explosive track that feels like an orchestra of oscillators, without melting the iPad. 

This works very well for me when creating complex multi layered sounds and timbres, and I can accomplish this most easily by loading up nanostudio 2 as an iaa on an audio track within AEM, then loading model D in nanostudio 2. 
But that's a DAW within a DAW, and it slows me down a little flipping between the two and making sure everything's loaded in the right order. 
If I could just load up model D in AEM, record to audio, mess around with parameters, record more audio, and repeat etc. It would speed up the workflow like crazy.

For apps that support IAA I can already do this. But I have a bunch of auv3 only apps that needed to be loaded into a daw. 

In summary recording straight to audio trades the ability to edit for the ability to layer "infinitely" without running into cpu limits. Recording audio from an auv3 within AEM makes it super fast and super easy. Load AEM, load an auv3, and record until I can't anymore :). 

It's somewhat minor, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a button or something. I'll be honest, I dig the elegance of AEM and it serves as such a fantastic canvas for sound design. So if this can't be done, I'll keep doing the track freeze option or the IAA option with a secondary daw.

Either way I love the app and will keep on using it for sure.
Ok, so I looked into this a little more, and it seems most other DAWs like cubasis are also unable to record audio directly from auv3, so it might be a limitation of iOS or something, or just very difficult to implement.

It seems like the best method is load auv3 as a midi track and freeze the track.

IAA audio still works well, but I have another related question. Is there a way to make AEM see IAA audio output from AUM?

I can load an auv3 in AUM and change the output of AUM to IAA output. Then I open a new audio track in AEM, and try to add the IAA as an input. AEM detects nanostudio 2, and several other IAA synths, but doesn't seem to detect AUM.

In contrast, if I load a midi instrument track, it does actually detect AUM's IAA output, but does not record anything.

Any idea on how to get AEM to detect AUMs IAA output on an audio track?

P.s. Thank you so much for your responses and all the hard work on the app. Because of how much good work you've done, I am enjoying the app and am using it for tons of projects now.

As reference, this video is an example of what I'm talking about with routing AUM to audio via IAA. I just don't have cubasis, and much prefer the workflow of AEM

https://youtu.be/RS4Iw5iLbek