Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gapless mp3 files Dark Side of the Moon (iTunes ripped/encoded) NOT playing gapless!
I recently purchased UAPP after purchasing the AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt DAC in order to transfer my music library (hi-res 24-bit, 96kHz FLACs + various MP3/AAC/ALAC/etc.) to my Android phone for mobile playback (headphones, vehicle, etc.) and am happy with the quality of the UAPP app for playback of my hi-res FLAC files, even for its ability to play those back gapless.

However, when I try to play my gapless MP3 files, ripped and encoded by iTunes using my own purchased CD's over the years, UAPP is NOT playing them back gapless, i.e., there is a noticeable pop/click/gap between tracks that should be seamless/gapless, and in fact do play seamless/gapless when playing the exact same files on a computer running iTunes or on my old iPod. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is one example of tracks that are supposed to be played seamless/gapless.

On the same phone, even running the free Android app foobar2000, these files do in fact play gapless.

Are there some settings I need to enable to play gapless mp3 albums or is this a known issue?

I can provide more info if needed (metadata output from ffprobe, etc.)

Thanks.
There can be only problem and that is that the duration in the file is not matching the actual audio data being present. So in reality, there is probably a silent gap at the end of the file. UAPP plays all data to the end, not looking at the duration.
(10-30-2021, 10:21 PM)dwrae Wrote: There can be only problem and that is that the duration in the file is not matching the actual audio data being present. So in reality, there is probably a silent gap at the end of the file. UAPP plays all data to the end, not looking at the duration.

I have no idea how to determine that. I don't know the MP3 format specification or how to decode the audio information - that's why I use apps like UAPP that I paid for.

The main question is: Does USB Audio Player Pro support playing iTunes ripped and MP3-encoded gapless CD's like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or does it not support playing iTunes ripped and MP3-encoded gapless CD's like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon? In my limited usage of the app so far, it seems that iTunes ripped and MP3-encoded gapless CD's are not supported to be played gapless.

In my limited research of the topic, I did find some information that points to ID3 tags that iTunes creates/uses with regard to gapless playback, namely the iTunPGAP, iTunNORM, and iTunSMPB tags. Of these, from what I've read, the most important is the iTunSMPB tag that may contain information on encoder delay. Here are a couple of links I found on the topic:

Link 1 on iTunes ID3 tags related to gapless playback

Link 2 on iTunes ID3 tags related to gapless playback

Again, as a reference point, when I use the foobar2000 Android app on the same phone with the same MP3 files, it plays them back gaplessly, so that app is either using the iTunes ID3 tag information or it is using some other method to determine gapless playback.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the source CD's any more since I lost them in a house fire more than a decade ago so I wouldn't be able to re-encode even if I wanted to.

Regards.

P.S. I am attaching metadata captured from running the ffprobe command line utility included with ffmpeg showing the metadata of the first two tracks of the Dark Side of the Moon CD that are supposed to be gapless between them, and includes the iTunes ID3 tags for more information.

.txt   gapless-itunes-metadata.txt (Size: 1.92 KB / Downloads: 0)