Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
External MIDI controller and synth
(02-18-2016, 10:56 PM)tomf Wrote: Hi,

[Ray007: there's certainly direct monitoring of the inputs via the headphone out / main outs on the UR242 when using in Audio Evolution (presumably "wired through" in the device as there appears to be no latency), in fact I need to look into this as I'm getting mono monitoring of my synth (didn't notice with a guitar...) even though recording is in stereo, so won't be happy if I can't change this in dspMixFx! I'll report back on this. EDIT: the 'direct' monitoring on the rear channels, 3 & 4 being mono was entirely my own fault rather than a hardware limitation like (apparently) on the UR22; I plugged the UR242 into my PC, ran dspMixFx, and sure enough both channels 3 & 4 were panned dead centre Blush. I panned them left/right and can monitor in stereo now (regardless of whether I'm plugged into the PC, tablet or disconnected etc)]

OK, so I managed to find some time to play with the MIDI THRU settings in Audio Evolution. The TL;DR is that - I think - the MIDI THRU is sending received messages back out the interface that they came from (i.e. it is ignoring the MIDI THRU output setting).

This is a shame for me, as I was hoping to use Audio Evolution to have two devices both with MIDI input & output, using AE as the 'router'.

Also, is it possible to set the MIDI output channel number for a track (I couldn't see any setting), or is it a case of having to record data from a particular channel number in order to have it played back on that same channel number?

Below is a quick dump of what I did, apologies for any incoherence!

Thanks,
Tom

Aha, now I get it, thanks for all the information. So, MIDI thru works, but indeed only for one MIDI input-to-output. There are indeed problems (more than MIDI thru only) with handling multiple MIDI devices simultaneously. I'll see if I can fix this next week.
Ok, the problem was that all USB devices received the internal name "USB", which confused the THRU mapping. Please try this version:

http://www.audio-evolution.com/priv_down...4.1.4b.apk
(02-22-2016, 04:32 PM)dwrae Wrote: Ok, the problem was that all USB devices received the internal name "USB", which confused the THRU mapping. Please try this version:

Thanks for looking into it, I will try and test it out this evening.

Thanks also for the confirmation about MIDI channels. I just changed the transmit channel on my keyboard and was in that way able to control what part on my synth I was playing live/recording to.

As an aside, I have to say I am very, very impressed with the stability of AudioEvolution. At the weekend, I had a session playing live (i.e. recording audio, not MIDI) to get some ideas down, just recording audio tracks into AE and adding layers. I ended up with 10 stereo tracks and the app was totally responsive. The next morning I had another 2hr session where I took the (few) best bits and played them carefully this time to record in as MIDI, then after tidying, recorded the MIDI tracks in as audio. Again, the app was totally responsive. I only had one crash the whole time - and that was when the "15% low battery" dialog popped up on my Note 8.0, interrupting playback. The icing on the cake is afterwards being able to play about with the (audio tracks) mix on the train to work using bluetooth headhones - a fantastic app, well done and thanks! Cool
(02-23-2016, 10:03 AM)tomf Wrote:
(02-22-2016, 04:32 PM)dwrae Wrote: Ok, the problem was that all USB devices received the internal name "USB", which confused the THRU mapping. Please try this version:

Thanks for looking into it, I will try and test it out this evening.

So work got in the way, but I finally managed to test out the 4.1.4b APK. I'm happy to report that it does fix the problem:
   - MIDI devices are no longer called "USB" but have their device name (e.g. "Steinberg UR242" or "masterkey 49" etc)
   - The MIDI THRU dialog shows the device names (and is suddenly a lot more usable!)
   - MIDI THRU appears to be working just fine

Thanks!  Smile
Good to hear that. Thanks for testing!
Hi all, i entered this forum exactly to something similar to this post.

I use a USB Only Synth Roland XPS10 and a USB Only controller AMW Mini32P. 

With the midi thru function i play on the Controller the sounds of my synth, its like have 2 synths with diferent tones.

One thing i want is a way to as i open the app my preset open automaticaly, its always start with a new one.

Thx all