Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
roughly the 1st second of every track is fading in
Bug 
When using external DAC and replaying DSD file, roughly the 1st second of every track is fading in. Is there any setting to change this behaviour or it's a bug? The problem does not exist for PCM playback

Player: Onkyo DAP-X1
DAC: Chord Hugo
DoP: Both ON and OFF have the same issue
It's a 'feature' of Chord devices
(04-26-2016, 09:44 AM)dwrae Wrote: It's a 'feature' of Chord devices

Well, this feature does not exist in the standard 'Music' app in the player. What's the basis you can conclude that it is the feature of their devices not USB Audio Player Pro?
Because we sometimes talk with the vendor. They fade in the sound when the USB alt setting is changed. Normal music players use the regular Android API which keep one USB alt setting. UAPP returns to USB alt setting 0 after stopping playback as recommended by the USB specification to release USB bandwidth and possibly save power.
We would need to add an option to start playback one second later but you can imagine that this has lower priority because this is very specific to the Chord (there are tens of DAC vendors) and not our fault.
(04-28-2016, 10:59 AM)dwrae Wrote: Because we sometimes talk with the vendor. They fade in the sound when the USB alt setting is changed. Normal music players use the regular Android API which keep one USB alt setting. UAPP returns to USB alt setting 0 after stopping playback as recommended by the USB specification to release USB bandwidth and possibly save power.
We would need to add an option to start playback one second later but you can imagine that this has lower priority because this is very specific to the Chord (there are tens of DAC vendors) and not our fault.

I checked here, it states that Chord DACs are supported, http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/2015-...dio-driver
Yes, Chord DACs work indeed. They only fade in sound when you start playback. It doesn't mean they do not work entirely.
(04-28-2016, 10:59 AM)dwrae Wrote: Because we sometimes talk with the vendor. They fade in the sound when the USB alt setting is changed. Normal music players use the regular Android API which keep one USB alt setting. UAPP returns to USB alt setting 0 after stopping playback as recommended by the USB specification to release USB bandwidth and possibly save power.

Thank you for taking the time to explain the situation in detail. Cool  I just took delivery of my Mojo and I noticed this ahem, "undocumented feature"... .

I'd been using UAPP happily with my LG G4 (Marshmallow) & Audioquest Dragonfly Red without any hitch so I was a bit concerned when I noticed the fade-in. Worse, hitting the "rewind" button sometimes causes a "pop" (?) sound that with high-isolation IEMs can give you a jolt...  Tongue

FWIW, it's not limited to DSD conversion, but to all types, including plain vanilla 16bit/44K redbook CD WAV files.

Traveller - Geneve * Melbourne * Miami * Wien
You can try disabling the option 'Free USB bandwidth after playback'.
(06-30-2016, 12:04 PM)dwrae Wrote: You can try disabling the option 'Free USB bandwidth after playback'.

Works like a charm, thank you sir!

Having said that, I will only disable this option during A/B testing. I am sure it servers a greater purpose and I don't see why I should bypass it on account of Mojo's decision to use a "fade in" effect.

Now sir... could you please also build in such an option for Windows (7 Enterprise)?  Tongue I was shocked to note the same issue with my office's workstation. I am 98% sure it doesn't happen with my private Notebook running Win 10 (will triple-check tonight).

But darn, if this isn't proof that the "feature" is from Mojo and NOT UAPP, I don't know what is Wink

Awesome App  Heart  - please keep up the good work! Cool
Traveller - Genève * Melbourne * Miami * Wien

LG G4 + UAPP > Chord Mojo / AQ DragonFlyRed (+Jitterbug) >
A&K-JHA Angie II / Etymotics ER-4S / Grado SSR-60/225
(06-30-2016, 04:45 PM)Travelller Wrote: ...could you please also build in such an option for Windows (7 Enterprise)?  Tongue I was shocked to note the same issue with my office's workstation. I am 98% sure it doesn't happen with my private Notebook running Win 10 (will triple-check tonight).
Checked! Windows 10 does not "trigger" the fade-in. I use all the same options from the Playback\Properties tabs so it's not like the user can toggle this. Apparently W7 and W10 handle it differently or at a minimum, have different internal defaults for (USB-)audio processing... .

EDIT: Never mind... It started off without fade-in and eventually something changed and now I have the fade-in with Windows 10 as well...  Confused
I was toggling between 16b44K and 24b96K as I have PCM files in both formats. I wanted to avoid any re-sampling by Windows. Unlike UAPP, Windows standard options only allow for a fixed rate. So maybe the change to the Bit and Sample rate caused Windows 10 (and 7) to trigger Mojo's Fade-In "protection mechanism"... .

I give up  Tongue At least UAPP has all the options I need  Cool
Traveller - Genève * Melbourne * Miami * Wien

LG G4 + UAPP > Chord Mojo / AQ DragonFlyRed (+Jitterbug) >
A&K-JHA Angie II / Etymotics ER-4S / Grado SSR-60/225