Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Interface Question
I recently sold my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and replaced it with a Scarlett 18i8, mainly because I wanted more than two XLR inputs. I didn't realize that in doing so, unfortunately I would be losing hardware direct monitoring capability. Focusrite has software to permit direct monitoring in the Windows and Macintosh platforms, but not in Android.

Is there a way to use the Scarlett 18i8 with Audio Evolution in Android with direct monitoring of the source being recorded? If, as I expect, the answer is "No," my main question is: What is the best audio interface I can use with Audio Evolution in Android that has the following capabilities?

- Direct monitoring
- More than two XLR inputs
- Preferably its own power supply (i.e., not bus-powered)
- No other "gotchas" (i.e., limitations that will make me sorry I bought the thing)  Smile

Thanks in advance!
I don't own any USB audio interface yet, but my guess is that if you setup the routing of Scarlett 18i8 using a PC/Mac first and save the settings on the interface, then you can get direct monitoring on Audio Evolution too.

From this list http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/2015-...dio-driver provided by the developers, my guess is Steinberg UR44 can serve your purpose well.
(09-26-2016, 08:25 PM)Ray007 Wrote: I don't own any USB audio interface yet, but my guess is that if you setup the routing of Scarlett 18i8 using a PC/Mac first and save the settings on the interface, then you can get direct monitoring on Audio Evolution too.

From this list http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/2015-...dio-driver provided by the developers, my guess is Steinberg UR44 can serve your purpose well.

Thanks Ray; that's helpful! I will try adjusting the settings on my computer and saving them to the 18i8. I hope it works; the 18i8 is a nice interface otherwise, and I would hate to have to ditch it due to lack of direct monitoring in Android (which does seem like a surprising omission, if true). Otherwise, I'll investigate the UR44. In any case, I'll report back here with my results.
(09-26-2016, 08:40 PM)joesilver Wrote: I will try adjusting the settings on my computer and saving them to the 18i8. I hope it works; the 18i8 is a nice interface otherwise, and I would hate to have to ditch it due to lack of direct monitoring in Android
Here is how it's to be done https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/a...alone-Mode-

Good luck. And please do come back to share your findings with us. A forum is as useful as much its members are ready to share their experience, knowledge.
Photo 
Thanks again Ray! I appreciate the link you provided. Unfortunately, the information on the page didn't help me much. Smile It seems to be mainly for Saffire interfaces, not Scarlett. The mixer graphic shown in the screen shot is nothing like what I see in Focusrite Control.

However, by connecting the Scarlett 18i8 to my Windows 10 computer, opening Focusrite Control, and messing around, I was able to figure out what to do to obtain the result I was looking for. It turned out to be a simple setting: I went into the "File" menu, chose "Presets," and selected "8 Channel Analogue."

[Image: 18i8_zpscclcbihv.jpg]

I can now connect the 18i8 to my Android device (a Nexus 6P), start Audio Evolution, and hear tracks I've already recorded, while directly monitoring new tracks as I record them.

There's also a "2 Channel Analogue" preset. It's not clear to me why I would ever want to use this preset rather than "8 Channel Analogue." It appears to be the same as the latter except that only the first two inputs work. I also don't understand why direct monitoring isn't enabled on the 18i8 by default. Nonetheless, I'm happy to have found a solution!

[Note: For the benefit of anyone who might find this post in the future via a search, the version of Focusrite Control that I'm using is 2.0.0.]
That's a good news. Thanks for reporting back.
I too don't understand why most audio-interface manufacturers don't enable direct monitoring by default.