Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live soundfont player
Hi All
I am trying to build an AEM Android based soundfont player that would be useable for live MIDI keyboard playing.
Current setup uses Samsung G5 + USB Midiman i/f and generic USB audio adapter.

Requirements:
1.Low latency:
    Currently about 10-20 ms and noticeable compared with a h/w MIDI module.
2.Ease of use:
     Currently use touch screen to change sounds but would prefer a mechanical switch. 
     How are keyboard shortcuts accessed? I've searched menus but can't find references?
     Also would like AEM to auto load last project/screen rather than touching screen >10 times to achieve this.
3.Reliability:
     I've disabled/removed as many apps as possible, set to airplane mode.
     Have noticed chorus fx glitches. This may be due to cpu clock frequency changing. Will experiment with switching power saving modes off.

Any thoughts/ suggestions for improvements most welcome.
(03-08-2019, 02:32 AM)jnb Wrote: Hi All
I am trying to build an AEM Android based soundfont player that would be useable for live MIDI keyboard playing.

Requirements:
1.Low latency:
2.Ease of use:
     Currently use touch screen to change sounds but would prefer a mechanical switch. 
     How are keyboard shortcuts accessed? I've searched menus but can't find references?
     Also would like AEM to auto load last project/screen rather than touching screen >10 times to achieve this.
3.Reliability:
     Have noticed chorus fx glitches. This may be due to cpu clock frequency changing. Will experiment with switching power saving modes off.

Since the last AE update includes 'Aaudio' support does anyone know if midi latency, with ext keyboard, will improve?
Will update to an Android 8.1 device if close to 10ms can be achieved.
(06-23-2019, 06:32 PM)jnb Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 02:32 AM)jnb Wrote: Hi All

Requirements:
1.Low latency:
2.Ease of use:
3.Reliability:

Since the last AE update includes 'Aaudio' support does anyone know if midi latency, with ext keyboard, will improve?
Will update to an Android 8.1 device if close to 10ms can be achieved.

Only the minority of devices that already had low latency on Android (Google Pixel/Nexus, some Samsung's) will have a slightly lower latency with AAudio. Devices that didn't have low latency using OpenSLES, do not benefit from AAudio since they were never made with a low latency path to begin with.
Sorry for necroposting, but did you manage eventually to do what you aimed for?. I had an old Android tv box lying around with Android 7.1 that surprisingly reported the LOW_LATENCY flag. Superpowered App indicates 34ms round trip latency when using a cheap LogiLink usb sound card. It might be less, since I am actually using the eXtream driver in AEM and the latency displayed by the Superpowered App is using the Android driver. Anyway, it is good enough for me for practicing at home. I was trying to automate the startup so that it is placed in MIDI mode automatically and I had some success with the Tasker App, configuring it also to use the volume buttons of the LogiLink card to switch between instruments...